Thursday, June 9, 2011

Strawberry Cake

Strawberries are one of my favorite fruits and I hate to think about any of them going to waste. There is a HUGE carton of sweet strawberries sitting in my refrigerator right now and when I stumbled upon this delicious recipe and I knew exactly how I would use my strawberries this weekend... I can't wait to taste this Strawberry Cake fresh out of the oven!

6 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened, plus more for pie plate
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup plus 2 tablespoons sugar
1 large egg
1/2 cup milk
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1 pound strawberries, hulled and halved

Preheat your oven to 350 degrees and butter a 10-inch pie plate. Sift flour, baking powder, and salt together into a medium bowl.
Combine butter and 1 cup sugar in a bowl  and mix on medium-high speed until pale and fluffy, about 3 minutes. Reduce the speed to medium-low and mix in egg, milk, and vanilla.
Keeping speed on low, gradually mix in the flour mixture.
Transfer the batter to your buttered pie plate. Arrange the strawberries on top of the batter, cut sides down and as close together as possible.
Finish by sprinkling the remaining 2 tablespoons sugar over the berries.

Bake the cake for 10 minutes. Then reduce your oven's temperature to 325 degrees.
Bake until cake is golden brown and firm to the touch, about 1 hour. Let cool in pie plate on a wire rack.
Cut into wedges. Cake can be stored at room temperature, loosely covered, up to 2 days.
ENJOY :)
via Martha Stewart

No comments:

Post a Comment